Harold’s Yellow Jacket

 

 

 

 

Restoration Discoveries:

·                    The original Plexiglas windshield was beyond salvage, but I still have it in storage.

·                    There were two auto-style fog lamps mounted on the front deck.  One of them at some point had been torn loose, leaving a hole in the plywood deck.  Someone had placed a decorative patch on the front deck and re-mounted auto headlights.  When I restored the boat, I chose not to re-attach the lights, but did save them. 

·                    It appeared that the boat’s original power source was not electric start as I found no evidence of the necessary dash controls. 

·                    The steering, throttle, shifter, and speedometer were at one time installed in the rear cockpit.  There was evidence that the front cockpit was cut in later, and the controls moved to the front.  The original boat appears to have been set up for speed racing, and later converted into a four-person runabout.

·                    At some point, an automotive clock was installed in the rear dash, where the speedometer had previously been located, and the holes in the rear dash, where steering wheel was previously located, had been filled.

·                    There was evidence inside the hull of a set of keelsons having been installed on each side at the rear below the water line, which would have given extra stability in tight turns and extra lift at higher speeds.  These old performance components were not a stock feature, and were removed when the boat was re-configured, possibly around 1955, when the new electric start motor was mated to the hull.

·                    The front cockpit had been cut into the deck in a professional manner, most likely at a factory or a dealership, using original yellow jacket parts and materials.  The backrest of the front seat and the rolled edging around the cockpit were installed under the decking, which looked to have been replaced at some point.  The front seat itself had been cut down from a 14ft version of the yellow jacket.  The risers had been moved in and the ends cut down.  The seats were stained and varnished under the rolled and pleated upholstery.  The old upholstery was tattered and ripped beyond salvage, but had been quite nice.

·                    In the sanding and repainting of the hull, no evidence could be found of the boat ever having any manufacturer’s registration numbers or decals. 

·                    .

 

 

Harold thinks this may be a Roy Rogers boat!

Click here to find out why.